Beyond Zero for Business
You’re an ethically minded and culturally aware business who has perhaps already installed solar, bought electric vehicles for your fleet, invested in energy efficiency, and ensured your supply chain take similar actions. Now your own customers are asking you to do more to show your sustainability credentials and need help. There is much more that can be done to reach your Environmental, Sustainability and Governance targets. (ESG)
ABS can work with you to find ways to go beyond net zero and start capturing more carbon than you emit through partnerships with tree planting and soil carbon sequestration programs. Depending on your interest and commitment, this could be in a voluntary donation, or could be a more structured and potentially financially rewarding business investment. Going green does not mean going broke. We can suggest some highly profitable strategies with high double-digit returns.
Contact us now to take the next step in putting your business on track to go “beyond zero”
Beyond Zero for your home
You are an ethically minded person or family looking to so more to tread lightly on the planet. You may already have solar, a battery and an electric vehicle being charged with pure green energy. There is more you can do and we can offer help and advice to bring you to a carbon neutral home.
Contact our team to find out what we can do to help you get to your desired outcome.
Why Net Zero isn’t enough
Inertia is the resistance of any physical object to any change in its velocity. This includes changes to the object’s speed, or direction of motion.
Therein lies the problem with the current policy of many governments and corporations with regard to carbon emissions. Aiming for net zero won’t stop the current inertia of the planet which is an ever increasing rise in temperature due to the increase in greenhouse gas emissions from both historical and current growth in energy demand predominantly from fossil fuel sources.
To slow and reverse the trends requires us to go beyond net zero and start reabsorbing far more carbon than we are emitting.
What can you do now?
There are five steps to get to net zero
- Increase energy efficiency through doubling energy productivity or halving energy waste. This is the low hanging fruit to reduce energy use.
- Source all electricity from zero-emissions sources. In Australia, renewable energy is winning this race ahead of carbon capture and storage or nuclear energy. You can install solar and ensure your electricity supplier sources the rest from renewable sources.
- Electrify everything. Switch to electricity from other fossil fuels, including petrol, diesel and gas. You can generate your own clean electricity, but there’s no “clean” gas you can produce unless you use biofuels from renewable crops.
- Reduce emissions through industrial capture from gas or manufacturing facilities.
- Capture the remaining emissions through active natural sequestration in forests, soils and vegetation.
Step 5 is where we can break even or better still, we can start reversing the direction. It takes at least one mature tree to provide enough oxygen for you to breath. But it takes 20 years for that tree to absorb 1 tonne of carbon and the average Australian produces over 20 tonnes of CO2 every year. So you need 400 mature trees to break even on your carbon emissions and more if you want to start reversing the problem. While the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, the next best time is right now.
ABS can work with you to find ways to go beyond net zero and start capturing more carbon than you emit through partnerships with tree planting and soil carbon sequestration programs. Depending on your interest and commitment, this could be in a voluntary donation or could be a more structured and potentially financially rewarding business investment.
Contact us now to take the next step.